
Through a spring curtain of tender green,
I spy a watery
door...
I wandered down to the river today enjoying the sunshine, admiring the immaculate circles of spring flowers as I passed through the park areas, savouring the sweet smell of blossoms and freshly mown grass. The river came into view as I crossed the gravel walkway, a gleaming silver ribbon through the willows and then I heard the swans and geese and took out my camera. Always ready - now, for that unexpected flight of swans or geese. But not today. Although I did take several photos of swans and canadian geese, ripples of sunlight upon water - something of magic that will always enchant me.
It was then that I heard a boy shout "There's a dead swan over there. Its got bird flu!" and my heart sank; a sadness because the death of a swan is sad, something of such grace and beauty should live forever. But birds die, as we do. They get sick from a variety of things, or just old age catches up with them. But when people listen to the BBC and read the papers and suddenly every dead bird is a possible danger, a health hazard.
Don't know if I can get the link up for BBC news, (they have a lot to answer for). That article angered me too. They are saying that Canadian Geese, because they are migrating creatures and can cover up to a thousand miles in one day are now in danger of spreading the H5N1 virus and farmers with domestic fowl should be vigilant. Is this the beginning of another 'mad cow' episode, this time with wildfowl, with geese and swans, then gulls and terns .. and.. until it becomes a free for all? A turkey shoot for anything that flies?
A lovely day touched with sadness.







3 Comments:
It is sad - and dangerous. Some poeple; those who hate birds of prey, birds just feeding on grain or shoots; yobs too, will jump at any opportunity to kill or harm birds now.
I know exactly how you feel about the media.
I feel the role of the media needs to be examined today. It's all about money and not enough about educating people.
Our newspaperman said that we [Guyanese] too contribute to the hysteria, because we only want the bad, gory news.
What annoys me is that they generate panic when they only give half of the facts.
Sandy
Post a Comment
<< Home