Thursday, May 04, 2006


A Day of Many Messages


The Canada Goose
symbol of the circle of life; autumn and spring
resting and death; rebirth and growth
A powerful totem

I was rather excited to see another powerful bird today. Two, actually. While I was on my walk I stopped by the bridge to watch the river. It was like summer today, warm sun, warm breeze, the air so sweet with the fragrance of flowers and birdsong. I'd been listening to a skylark when suddenly I heard a piercing cry and then another, I looked up but couldn't see anything at first and then two dark silhouettes swooped down and rose again almost as quickly but I saw the outstretched wings, the spread pinions, the wings of hawks, before they faded to black specks and disappeared. A wonderful moment. I gazed out at the vast cloudless blue for a long while before I finally turned and walked back across the fields

I checked with our local oracle and discovered that kites had begun breeding in the area. Wish I could have caught them on camera but I have the memory. They say that when you hear the cry of a hawk you should listen carefully for he is a messenger from Great Spirit. His message is a harsh one if you accept such things.
Skylark has power too; it has indeed been a day of many messages.
A day to look inward.

2 Comments:

Blogger to touch a unicorn said...

You were rather quick m'dear. Only just posted this :) No, I think they live here now. Think I read over 38,000 stay here in the UK. :)

5/05/2006  
Blogger to touch a unicorn said...

Thank you Carnival and thanks also for the link :)
Wish I could get photos like that.

5/13/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

SandysCopyright© 2006 All Rights Reserved bifroste@gmail.com