Monday, September 11, 2006

A Murder of Crows



It's a nice photo isn't it? Well, it has the makings of a good sunset, but it’s not the photo I wanted. Unfortunately, my camera died. Rather an odd moment. Want to hear? I’ll try and keep it short.

From the garden it looked as if it was going to be an interesting sunset, so I decided to go down to the bridge and get a photo of a bigger sky over the open fields. It’s a long, narrow pedestrian bridge, halfway across I stopped for a couple of snaps then carried on walking crossing the bridge and going into the field beyond just as the sky turned into deeper hues.

The contrast of colours was even more striking, the darkness of the land underlying the glow of smouldering pinks and almost a full scale of blue. As I raised my camera a flock of crows rose up from the field to my right, perfect silhouettes against the sunset. I followed them and clicked ~ Nothing. The camera was dead.

Damn and blast! I fumbled with it for a moment, sure I had charged it, and then became aware of a breeze, a darkness that instantly turned into a maelstrom of harsh, rasping cries and dark whirling shapes that buffeted and shrieked, tugged at my hair and clothes. My heart pounded I screamed but there was no sound All I could see was swirling darkness. It was then that the light came sweeping over me and I saw them; a mass of large black birds, sharp beaks open in an angry shriek, their eyes, black shiny beads, malicious and without mercy, Crows! I was surrounded by dense flock of crows.

Then just as suddenly they began to fade, melt into the light and then were gone. I stared into the light stunned, my heartbeat racing, until the light too passed and faded and I was staring into the dark, empty field. What had happened? A nightmare while I was wide awake? It had felt so real.

I heard a car door open and slam shut and then someone was speaking my name, “Sandy?” A woman’s voice, “Sandy, you ok?” I turned and saw my neighbour. I must have looked a little odd.
I took a deep breath and smiled. “Oh Hi, Jean, sorry, I was miles away!”
“Lovely sunset tonight!”
We looked at the last rays of the sun dipping behind the distant line of trees and the dark shapes gathering above them. So many of them.
“There are a lot of crows around here.” Jean said as if reading my thoughts.
“I tried to take their photo, but my camera died” I said rather lamely
“Do you ever have those moments when you think you’ve stepped into another world?” I asked
Jean laughed, “Yes, every time the kids come home from school!”
I know her boys. I laughed too, and felt the tension drain from me.

“Why did you ask?”
“You’ll probably think I’m nuts but I just had the most weird and vivid sensation that I was being attacked by a flock of crows. It was like stepping into a nightmare!”
“Ooooh, you imagined that! I hate crows at the best of times.” Jean said “Horrid things!” as she studied them. “Their flocks are called a ‘murder’ of crows, suits them.”
“Wonder how they got that tag” I said.
“Some folklore about them being judge, jury and executioner. When they are in large flocks its supposed to mean they’re out to kill some poor creature that has violated their domain. Rather like sending out a murder squad.”
“I didn’t know that!” I mumbled
Jean looked at me and for a moment we held each other’s gaze. I saw a dark question enter her eyes and then tumble away as we both began to laugh.
“Oh, come on. You read far too many fantasy novels!”

We turned and walked back to her car, its headlights two bright eyes in the deepening gloom
Jean started the car and we headed home, taking the long way as we chatted about my “moment“ and its possible consequences. We approached her house.
“Fancy popping in for a coffee, I‘ve got your favourite?”
“You’re indeed an angel!” I said and we both laughed.

Funny thing is when I tried my camera later that night, it worked fine, Don‘t you think that‘s just a little odd?
Okay maybe I do read too much…



And hope this answers your question moi, I tried to make a light story out of a dark one. :)

15 Comments:

Blogger dreaming-neko said...

LOVE the photo :)

9/12/2006  
Blogger Linda@VS said...

Great photo, wonderfully eerie story. Now I'll be seeing little flashes of Tippi Hedren in my head all day. Thanks, Sandy.

9/12/2006  
Blogger S.L. Corsua said...

Quite a fright there. If it were me, I would have remained scared stiff for a long time after the attack of those crows. ^_^ Enjoyed reading this post.

And your poems ("Echoes," "The Sky Last Night"), what a pleasure to dwell on them. Thank you.

Cheers.

9/12/2006  
Blogger Dave said...

Hi Sandy, here's an idea for surplus crows.
http://bertc.com/three_crows.htm

Let me know what you think.

9/12/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The other one really was better neko :-)
Haha So sorry Velvet, blame moi :p
Nice to see you Soulless so pleased I didn't scare you away :-)
And davem hmmmm yummy!!!!
Take three crows.... just the thing for a late snack ~ just don't think I could do it dave. :-)

9/12/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Janet *hugs* and thanks for the advice. :) :p

9/13/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's better than The Birds, Sandy - good writing!

Do you think they carry souls to the land of the dead when someone passes away?

...someone they look the part, don't they?

9/13/2006  
Blogger Kat Campbell said...

Good story!

9/13/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really love that photo, I think it's easy the best you have taken.

Interesting post. Maybe you took a mistep into the world of faery? I think the inhabitants of the other world always have a reason for being in a time or place. Maybe they are trying to tell you something.

Your neighbour is typical of most people retreating into the well known when presented with an idea that's outside of what they know or are comfortable with. I have a measure of pity and a measure of contempt for thease people.

9/13/2006  
Blogger Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

...i love you sandy!!! haha!!!!
it was told so fascinatingly (if there's a word like that :DD) ...i was so completely entranced while reading it .............and yes like velvet and janet was reminded of Tippi hedren and birds........and the pic's great too :)
ve been off blogging for sometime now as its been terribly busy at this end..............i wud have missed sth as beautiful as this had u not reminded me ...thanx a ton!!! :)

9/13/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you liked it tc, thank you.
Did you ever see that TV series, "The Crow"? Think it was Zak Santiago? Loved that! There are many myths about death aren't they, and crow is always in there somewhere, but depending on which myth you read it can be anything from sparrow to wolf. I think if I could choose I'd always go for wolf :-)
Thank you kat, nice to see you again :-)
What makes you think its the best Martin? The reflections on the bridge?
Hmmm attacking crows telling me something? It was all fiction Martin, including the neighbour. The only thing that happened was that after taking that photo my camera actually died on me. *shock horror* I forgot to recharge it. :p

9/13/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heeey! The girl herself!
Haha *female hug* moi and good to see you around again, don't stay away so long when you get over the busy spell. :)

Btw I'm much prettier than Tippi Hedren ~ and I lie so well! ;-)

9/13/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you really think I was attacked by crows Janet? ~ Ooooo! Thank you :)
And I like your sentiments;
"...their feet firmly on the ground to hold it down for those of us whose heads are in the clouds!" :-)

9/14/2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sandy!! I'm so glad I decided to do a little "back" reading today. I enjoyed every word of this! The expression "murder of crows" has always intrigued me, and you've matched the perfect mood to the expression.

This was a brilliant bump for my "ho-hum" Monday!

9/18/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi W.J. nice to see you again. :) Pleased you liked the story, it was moi who gave me the idea but... you never know about these things do you. :)

9/19/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

SandysCopyright© 2006 All Rights Reserved bifroste@gmail.com