Sunday, September 24, 2006

The Two Wolves

When I saw this photo I thought of a legend I'd read somewhere and thought you might like to hear it.

A Native American tale told many times around the Sacred Fire...

"The old man sat by the fire watching the smoke rise as he listened to his grandson, his eyes growing troubled as he noted the anger and hatred in the boy's words as he told of the injustice a friend had done to him. When the boy had finished the old man looked up at his grandson.

"Let me tell you a story ", he said as he motioned for the boy to sit by him. "I too, at times, have felt great hate for those who have taken so much, with no sorrow for what they do. But hate wears you down, and does not hurt your enemy. It is like taking poison and wishing your enemy would die. I have struggled with these feelings many times."
The boy sat at his grandfather's side, silent as the anger subsided and the older man continued.

"It is as if there are two wolves inside me; One is good and does no harm. He lives in harmony with all around him and does not take offense when no offense was intended. He will only fight when it is right to do so, and in the right way. He saves all his energy for the right fight.

But the other wolf, ahhh!

He is full of anger. The smallest thing will set him into a fit of temper. He fights everyone, all the time, for no reason. He cannot think because his anger and hate are so great. It is helpless anger, for his anger will change nothing. Sometimes it is hard to live with these two wolves inside me, for both of them try to dominate my spirit."


"Which one wins, Grandfather?"

The Grandfather smiled and said quietly

"The one I feed.




farmeranderwin/legends.

14 Comments:

Blogger Kat Campbell said...

Excellent story. Thank you for that.

9/24/2006  
Blogger Dave said...

I like it.
First of all the picture was good and second, linking the story. Where do they come from..... No dont tell, just keep churning them out.
I learnt years ago on a physcology course the reason why people forgive the most horrendous crimes against their family. Its to release themselves. If you harbout hatred then in the long run the only person who suffers is you.

9/24/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks kat :)
I just love mythology dave but, ok my lips are sealed. :-) Hatred and harbouring anger don't do anyone any good, I agree, it's like a canker that eats you away.

9/24/2006  
Blogger Dr.John said...

Great story. WE say that so and so made me so angry. But that's not true. we make the anger. Then we nuture it into a full fledged fire.

9/24/2006  
Blogger Cherlee's said...

Thank you so much I've been going through alot of things that have mad me so angry. Dr John sent me here after reading my blog. I'm so thankful he did cause I feel so much better after your Native Tale.

You are a true blessing thank you so much for sharing!

9/24/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And often teaches us a hard lesson, dr.john, thank you for stopping by.
Hi cherlee's, sorry to hear you've been having a bad time, so pleased that the legend helped you.
Thanks again to dr.john

9/25/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a good story and nice pic.
Spit the anger out and do your self a good turn.forgive and you will be forgiven.
Wish you well

9/25/2006  
Blogger Stephen A. Bess said...

This was a really nice parable. There are a couple of things about me that I don't need to feed. Lord, give me strength! :)

9/25/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see you ptrvisionz ... to live by and a happier way. :)
We can but hope ZT sadly, not everyone can let go.:)

9/25/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi stephenb and as with most of us if we are honest :)

9/25/2006  
Blogger Sunflower Optimism said...

Great story - I immediately thought of my son. Not that I am much better, but I have mellowed slightly, with age. The "right" thing is such a struggle, isn't it? Will be sending son the link.

Many thanks and have a spectacular time in Sicily!

9/26/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see you here sunflower and thank you for your wishes. :)
And I agree, it's not always easy.

9/26/2006  
Blogger Linda@VS said...

I love this story, Sandy. Learning to let go of anger was the best thing I ever did for myself.

9/27/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic. Wow.

That is a great picture and a wonderful legend. Thank you so much for sharing it.

10/11/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

SandysCopyright© 2006 All Rights Reserved bifroste@gmail.com