Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Arriving in Scotland

Dark craggy shapes against a turbulent sky, an intake of breath released in a slow "aaaaaah! Look!"

The first view of the area around Fort William was from the window of a taxi. A rather long, three-hour taxi ride courtesy of First Scot Rail. There are three trains a day to Fort William from Glasgow and we were supposed to catch the mid-day one but due to maintenance work the connection from Edinburgh was over thirty minutes late and we missed it, the next train was around 5p.m. Without a moment's hesitation the Station Manager arranged for our 120 mile taxi ride ~ now there's a lesson for GNER.
Our driver was a young chap from Glasgow and his first response was, "I've never been there. Do you know the way?" His dispatcher soon helped him out with directions and the miles slipped by as he chatted amiably about Scotland, his girlfriend and football. The journey didn't seem long but as we sped past Loch Lomond we suddenly realised our driver was getting a little tense. "I'm supposed to be meeting my girlfriend at 6 o'clock. I'll not make it. She'll kill me!" We reached Fort William around 4.30 p.m. I hope hiss girlfriend believed him because as he said 'Goodbye!' we noticed his face was badly scratched.

Fort William sits on the shores of Loch Linnhe and Loch Eil, at the southern end of the Great Glen under the gaze of Ben Nevis.

"Goodnight!"
A slow walk along the loch

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Gorgeous photos, Sandy! Look at that ominous sky -- I sense adventure, intrigue and romance on the horizon.

(Or, I've read one too many gothic romance mysteries!)

7/12/2006  
Blogger Recruiting Officer said...

Oooh, that looks lovely! Hope you had a good time!

7/12/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The weather turned out to be pretty good, Janet the best they'd had in a while :) not sure about the photos tho :) Yes, was quite worried about that driver felt like calling his cell to check on him (mothering instinct I guess), was more worried he'd have an accident. Haha let me borrow those books W.J. but I do love dark, passionate skies :) Hey RO good to see you. Yes, had a great time something about Scotland ...like Carlsberg :p

7/12/2006  
Blogger Martin said...

A feast of dark, pendulous storm clouds. A black and toothy mountain range. A glinting glow of last sun on water... Images to bring back in heart and camera.

The taxi driver story was funny. I think that's one of the great thing about traveling. I don't mind missing train connections of when anything is SNAFU'ed because that's part of the adventure! I really enjoy the unexpected.

Oh, and I'll say again... Haggis! Blech! The heart, lungs, and liver of a sheep boiled in it's own stomach... as good as it sounds !

- Martin

7/12/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! The only compensation I had from a railway company was: "we'll refund your ticket if you like".

Looks like it might be nice if they ever had any sun up there!

Did they ever get rid of Braveheart? :D

7/12/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Memorable moments Martin wouldn't have minded missing the train if there had been another soon after but FOUR hours wait and then another three hours travelling I was missing valuable scenery time :p and I'd been travelling since 6.30 a.m. And thank you for reminding me about the haggis :) Sunshine coming up tc and I think we got rid of Braveheart bit by bit :( Oooh, those knees, the flowing hair and Mel Gibson speaking French....*sigh* My hero! :-)

7/12/2006  
Blogger dreaming-neko said...

wow! that looks great~ the land of braveheart...

7/13/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think there is a statue of William Wallace at the entrance to Sterling Castle that looks very much like Mel Gibson, so I guess 'Braveheart' lives on :) neko. :) Wonderful scenery.

7/13/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

SandysCopyright© 2006 All Rights Reserved bifroste@gmail.com