Monday, July 17, 2006

Ben Nevis


It was a forty minute walk from Fort William to the Ben Nevis Visitor Centre, and it was a hot sunny day. yes the sun was shining. We set off just after breakfast and allowed ourselves around
seven and-a-half hours as the web site had said the trek up Ben Nevis was a six hour round trip. Ample time to walk to the top and get back for the seafood restaurant reservation ~ or so we thought.

From the Visitor Centre you cross the bridge over the Nevis River and its a steady walk upwards past grazing sheep and heather, stepping over rivulets and gullies as the path grows steeper and more stoney. I kept walking and looking up, didn't seem too far, around the next turn maybe; another half an hour. That happens when you are walking doesn't it?
You think you are close and keep on going, a little farther and a little farther. Sometimes that can be a good thing, sometimes, when the weather can change suddenly, as it does on mountains, it can get you in a lot of trouble when you have to go all the way back down.

The weather stayed good, but after three hours, the ground becoming harder and the summit still no where in sight, I turned back. I felt very disappointed, but knew going back down was going to be harder and take me longer. After talking to the people in the Visitor Centre the time for an average walker was anything from six to ten hours, although once a yeart there is a race when runners do it in around one and-a-half hours. Hmmm very fit people.
So, I didn't make it to the top, but I had enjoyed trying and the views were wonderful. I hope there will be a next time...


On our way back we left the path and cut through the trees to
walk along the rock strewn beach of the Nevis. As we walked I
noticed large chunks of coloured rock; reds, black, striped, and
soon I was picking them up and putting them in my backpack.
After another half hour of walking, my shoulder ached and sagged
I had to stop and reluctantly
take out some of my rocks. I had five
'treasures', but after
agonizing, kept only two; a hand-sized chunk of
jasper and a smooth
blue/black stone which I am still trying to identify.
Both are pretty
heavy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Martin said...

Don't be too disapointed about not making it to the top...

It's the journey and not the destination :-)

- Martin

7/18/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good idea Janet will do. :)
As with a lot of things in life Martin :) I did enjoy it.

7/19/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

SandysCopyright© 2006 All Rights Reserved bifroste@gmail.com