Saturday, October 07, 2006


Mount Etna

There's a harbour, itself large and untroubled by the passing winds,
but Etna rumbles nearby with fearsome avalanches,
now it spews black clouds into the sky, smoking,
with pitch-black turbulence, and glowing ashes,
and throws up balls of flame, licking the stars:
now it hurls high the rocks it vomits, and the mountain's
torn entrails, and gathers molten lava together in the air
with a roar, boiling from its lowest depths.

Virgil's (70–19 B.C.), eruption of Mount Etna in his epic Aeneid.
We began our excursion by coach that took us through some amazing landscapes scarred black by lava flow while our guide (former vulcanologist) recounted some of Etna's history. I found the 1992 eruption (here) very interesting when they borrowed US chenook helicopters to stop lava by bombing the flow with concrete blocks. more Etna here

On Etna a pit-stop for loo/drinks and help become aclimatised to the change in altitude. Fifteen minutes later we took the cable car to an altitude of 2,500 ml then another transfer this time to a ten seater "Unimog" made by Mercedes-Benz. These huge monster trucks were great, we bumped and rocked over huge clumps of rock with the ease of a bouncing ball throwing up clouds of ash and dust in our wake, which turned pink in the rack of foglights as the light grew dimmer.

Darker it was quite surreal, the sunsetting on our right in a flare of red and gold and blue while to our left another crater rose like a black road shrouded by smoke, a thin line of people walking upwards towards the moon as smoke curled in grey wisps.
I found this a bit heavy going as the sides were loose clinker and the altitude made me a little breathless (okay, I'm not as fit as I thought I was) . It was strange that once the sun went down the smoke seemed denser. We made our way down the side of the crater back to the trucks.
The return journey in the dark was fantastic, there must have been 15-16 trucks all with headlights blazing and dipping as they bounced and zig-zagged down the side of the crater. It was longer and rougher, fellow passengers giving gasps of oooh and ahh as the followiing headlights illuminated the edge of the track and the deep, deep descent.

We travelled on beyond the cablecar stop (now closed) and parked at the restaurant where we had our supper ~ 150 people in all, and a banquet of pasta, salad, beer, wine or water all for 12 Euros. A great end to the day. Meal over we climbed aboard the awaiting coaches and went back to our hotels.

Hope you enjoyed the trip, I'm away to Devon for a couple of days, so have fun and see you on Thursday, hopefully :-)
Sandy

18 Comments:

Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Wow what a trip...

Sent by Dr. John, a guy who has too much time on his hands and thinks the rest of us do, too (just kidding...we love going to his link picks!).

10/09/2006  
Blogger Catch said...

sounds like a beautiful trip....Im not sure I could have done it!!! lol I am one of Dr Johns little people!I am one of Dr Johns little people!

10/09/2006  
Blogger Linda@VS said...

Sandy, what an amazing experience this must have been. Thanks for letting us see it through your eyes. I could almost feel the bumps.

10/09/2006  
Blogger Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

:) have a great week......shall drop by Thursday

10/09/2006  
Blogger Tina Dray said...

Souns like a very eexciteing trip Dr John sent me

10/09/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's cool. I had a project once in Italy, and used to drive past Pompeii frequently, but I never stopped to get a lungful!

10/09/2006  
Blogger Jerry Bowley said...

Sounds exactly like a trip Chana and I would love to take! And maybe we can convince Dr. John to come along this time too!

10/09/2006  
Blogger Kat Campbell said...

Virgil's description of Etna always gives me chills. What a nice account of your day on the mountain, felt like I was there with ya.

10/09/2006  
Blogger Sunflower Optimism said...

Great photos - sounds like it was a wonderful trip and also from the comments here, like you made a Dr. John list - two good things!

Loved your quote from the Aeneid. My son has to read it for college. When he's done, I think I'll borrow it

10/10/2006  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Awesome blog,
how come I haven't found this
pass before ... lol!
So here's a quick hi
from Dr John and I

10/10/2006  
Blogger Marion said...

I felt like I was there with you...an incredible trip!

10/10/2006  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

I started reading your quote and was suddenly back in college. I very much enjoyed your post. It is great to see pics of places read about.

I am puff, puff, puffing through in Dr. John's Marathon.

10/11/2006  
Blogger Cindy said...

I am afraid of heights but that sounds like an amazing trip. I'm glad I got to "see" it from my computer chair.
As you can see, Dr. John's marathoners are still traipsing through- some of us aren't as fit as we thought either.

10/11/2006  
Blogger Stephen A. Bess said...

There's nothing like seeing the world. I hope to travel like this one day. Thanks for sharing.

10/11/2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Gee, Sandy, how much fun can one woman have?

Wonderful travelogue, as always!

10/11/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks to dr.john's marathoners, it was great to see you all here I hope you managed to get your Blogger's Cup. :-)
It was an unforgettable moment Velvet thank you. I posted in a bit of a hurry as I had an early start the next day so will post more photos from the Etna trip later. Still waiting to get my other photos from my son (long story)
Hi again mi it was interesting, :) got a sunset for you.
You've had an exciting time tc I wanted to visit Pompeii too.
You mean the people from the excursion Janet> The trucks had racks of foglights, was a remarkable sight too watching them come down the side of the crater behind us.
I love Virgil's quote too, kat "licking the stars" and "torn entrails" Passionate stuff! :)
Two good things indeed sunflower, a fan of dr.john too. :-)
Thank you marion glad you came along, and thank you for the spider info, that actually helps.:-)
Hi there quilldancer pleased you enjoyed the pics, hoping to add more later.
Hope you make it cindy :-)
Hope you do too stephenB, funy though, how its always nice to come home. :-)
Haha Hellava lot I hope W.J. but feet firmly on the ground and back to normal now ~ I think! :p

10/13/2006  
Blogger Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

Thursday came and went........come back :)

10/13/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol Sorry moi, been trying to catch up, will remove the digit forthwith. :p

10/13/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

SandysCopyright© 2006 All Rights Reserved bifroste@gmail.com