Thursday, October 18, 2007


When you are writing and find yourself at one of those times when everything sems to be going wrong, nothing gels....

a little reminder from Neil Gaiman in "Why Write"

Why do you write?

"The best thing about writing fiction is that moment where the story catches fire and comes to life on the page, and suddenly it all makes sense and you know what it's about and why you're doing it and what these people are saying and doing, and you get to feel like both the creator and the audience. Everything is suddenly both obvious and surprising ("but of course that's why he was doing that, and that means that...") and it's magic and wonderful and strange.

You don't live there always when you write. Mostly it's a long hard walk. Sometimes it's a trudge through fog and you're scared you've lost your way and can't remember why you set out in the first place.

But sometimes you fly, and that pays for everything."

6 Comments:

Blogger Linda@VS said...

This beautiful day was made even brighter by coming here today and finding new posts by you. I've missed the magic of your words and your photos and hope that all is well in your world.

10/20/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Velvet, you are kind and it's nice to see you here too. :-)
I'd like to get back into blogworld and, hopefully, my writing too.

Things are looking up, thanks Velvet, so far so good.... fingers crossed. :-)

10/20/2007  
Blogger Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

may they always be good , Sandy ...take care

hugs across the ocean :)

10/22/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Inspiring! I'll have to remember this one next time I'm struggling.

10/23/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Noi and may your days be good too.
Hugs

I thought you might appreciate a little help Janet. :p I've got it paperweighed as a reminder ... see I'm working too, well printed out the reminder. lol

10/23/2007  
Blogger Marion said...

This was a great post. It really is magic when it all makes sense, when the struggling words come together.

So glad to see you're back here...I've missed you!

10/29/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

SandysCopyright© 2006 All Rights Reserved bifroste@gmail.com