Saturday, February 03, 2007

Fire and Ice
A day of contrasts




I awoke to a still, grey morning that shimmered and tingled with hoarfrost; silvered leaves and blades of grass that crunched softly underfoot but within two hours it had gone. By midday the sun was shining, the grass green and lush once more. I put on my walking shoes and wearing jeans and top, my arms and shoulders bare I went for my walk, the sun as warm upon my skin as a soft and gentle springtime kiss.

What a beautiful day! The air was so warm and vibrant busy with movement, scents and sound.


The hedgerows chirped and chattered with flurries of wings, a tractor droned as it turned meadow into dark, rich loam, gulls screamed as they wheeled, dipped and dived as spray upon the wind. The scent of crushed grass and earth and then the raw stench of engine mingled with diesel fumes.
Spring turned to summer as I quickened my pace wanting to add a couple of miles to my walk by way of the river.


Two tornadoes sliced the skies like great birds of prey leaving in their wake a diminishing roar, and then the rush of water hitting rocks and the river came into view. Still swollen from the recent rains it surged under the bridge rising high on its banks as it swept onward dissecting the fields .


The skies grew deeper and the clouds became tinged with pink as I left the river and took the lane back to the village.


The sun sank and fell into the trees,
kindled -- flared
and set the sky aflame.
I paused and the world grew hushed
as if it too held its breath

and watched in wonder as
day departed in all her splender and left
without a sound.

Twilight descended wrapping its shadows around me
as cold tendrils touched my skin.
A blackbird sang in the gathering grey
and then was still.
I began walking again.
Time to go home.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice! The "tornadoes" I don't understand, though.

2/05/2007  
Blogger Linda@VS said...

Beautiful photos, wonderful words! Did you really see tornados? I've always wanted to see one--from a long distance, of course.

2/06/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's probably because I changed my mind about a photo of two rather small jets that roared overhead, Janet. It seemed a day full of activity, sound especially. It's often so quiet on my walks.

2/06/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look close, very close, Velvet I've added the photo after all. :-)

2/06/2007  
Blogger Dr.John said...

What a beautiful blog. Hard to read when the temperature is -17 but beautiful anyway.

2/06/2007  
Blogger Dave said...

What a cracker the last picture is, hang on to that one.

2/06/2007  
Blogger Marion said...

I'm with DaveM...I love that last photo!

Really, Sandy, I felt as if I had just gone on a very relaxing, quiet walk with you! Wonderful descriptions!

2/06/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! dr.john sending you many warm wishes ~ and an extra sweater for the White Rabbit. Keep warm.
Thank you Davem I will, :-) reallylooks like the trees are on fie doesn't it?

2/06/2007  
Blogger Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

love the imagery u create with those beautiful words....its magical what u can do with words and ur camera, sandy!!! another of my fav posts this one was...:)

2/06/2007  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Wow Sandy, awesome,
truly magical pics & words!

Almost felt like putting on my jeans and joining yah!

2/07/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pleased you could come along Marion and thank you, it's always a pleasure walking with you too.

2/07/2007  
Blogger Sunflower Optimism said...

Oh, dear, I'm losing it, I could have sworn I told you how beautiful that twilight photo was! I just love that time of day with all the glorious colors - like emptying a palette of paint on the sky after the the day - and the day's painting - is done.

Your poem about twilight was exactly right - that is what it feels like to me also.

Oh my - here it is - twilight right outside my own window now!

2/07/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi and thank you Moi and quaar9 pleased you both liked thepost but sounds like the springtime is over for now, we've got snow coming tomorrow. You can still put your jeans on though and come along quasar9 :-)

2/07/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"...emptying a palette of paint on the sky after the the day - and the day's painting - is done." I like that sunflower such a lovely description.
A very different scne here today though, pale grey skies heavy with snow. :-)

2/08/2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sandy! I've missed you and your transcendent words. Just what I needed -- I feel as though I've spent a few minutes in a much better place.

2/08/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back W.J., missed you and your beautiful creations too. :-)

2/10/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

SandysCopyright© 2006 All Rights Reserved bifroste@gmail.com