As the last post was a little rushed here's some more photos for you.
Our guide at the restaurant/cablecar stop.
One of the smoking craters.
As we passed by wisps of smoke drifted from numerous crevices and holes.

Rock still hot from the last eruption.
I was unable to hear all that was said by our guide because two girls immediately behind me decided to have their own discussion but I was told later.
If we were to break a piece off that hot rock and pick up a small handful of ash and take them home, drill a little hole in the rock add a small amount of earth to the ash and water well, within a few weeks a cactus would grow. Hmmm. I didn't have anything to hack at the rock with even if I had heard. Maybe that was the point. The rock can stay hot for a long, long time. Ouch! Hmmm wonder if it would have worked though. Would have made a fascinating souvenir. :-)

Have a great weekend. :-)







9 Comments:
Surely they meant you could grow a cactus in it - the seeds or whatever have to come somewhere! That last picture took my breath away, stunning!
Great photos, Sandy, especially the one of the sun. I bet you wished you could pick up a piece of that hot rock to throw at the two girls who were talking behind you.
That's what I thought kat but when talking to my son and an Irish couple we met at the banquet (would you believe they were also at Fort William in Scotland and walking Ben Nevis the same week we were. Small world huh?) anyway, they said the cactus would grow from the ash!!!! Hmmm one of those freaky things they said. But then the Irish are born romantics and I like to believe in magic. :p
Yes, and some Velvet but I thought "anger control" and "they have a right to live!" and "I am a quiet, peaceful person." Guess it worked! haha But I do hate it when people talk and giggle (loudly) when someone else is speaking, don't you? It's just common courtesy to shut up.
my fav is the wisps of smoke ..........it looks like the crater enjoying a ciggie there :)
and ash helping a cactus to grow!!!!! wow that sure wud have been a souvenir........... :)
I do like the idea of the ciggie Moi :-) that's cute!
Fantastic photos, Sandy. The sunset photo turned out very cool - did you use any special lenses to get the star effect?
We had a terrible brush fire in my area, about 10 years ago. I remember reading at the time that occasional fires are necessary for pine forests because the seeds don't germinate unless they are exposed to the heat of fire. Maybe the cacti are like that?
Lava has lots of minerals in it, so maybe it just helps plants grow. It's a good story, at any rate!
Thanks again for your visit :-)
Intrigued about the cactus theory. Did you bring a souvenir rock back?
No special lens sunflower I'm afraid I am just a point and click gal ~ I can't see well enough to manipulate speeds and filters etc. although I would dearly love too, my camera is my third eye. :)
I've heard the same about pine cones but cacti are different in that respect as I've grown them from seed a few times. And yes, lava ash is rich and fertile, the area around Etna is very lush and green. So, not hearing the whole story first hand maybe it was just a tongue in cheek story ~ as my son said "well, at least it's one way of getting rid of the ash!!!" lol
Gets you wondering eh dave, guess you'd never know unless you try it, and alas too late to get a handful of ash. And of course I brought a rock back! :)
Yes, was a small piece of red lava that Michael found for me Janet, no drillings in that :)
Post a Comment
<< Home