
"What are you doing there, sitting on the floor?"
I looked at the books that surrounded me like mini mountain ranges and constellations upon the library floor; hardbacks, paperbacks, some large and fat, some small and thin, some with spines that glistened invitingly with gilt font. "I'm looking for something special!" I said without looking up still studying the authors, titles, musing on what lay within their covers, what journey awaited. "I'm tired of detectives, murder and mayhem." I continued almost to myself.
"So, then," said the small voice, "what is it you are searching for?"
"Adventure. Chivalry. Romance. I want to leave this world behind and venture into the impossible; pack a bag and wander in the realms of dreams and Faerie." I chuckled thinking I was stepping back into childhood. "I'd like to catch a falling star! Guess I'm searching for a little piece of magic."
"Ah! Magic is it? That's an easy one!"
"Close your eyes!"
I closed my eyes.
"Feel among the books on the floor!"
I reached out, my hand touching this book and then that, finally, "There you go!"
I opened my eyes, picked up the book, read the title. "Oh!"
I turned to thank my helper, but there was no-one there. I looked around surprised to find myself completely alone. It was then that I noticed the small elfin figure sitting on the bookshelf above me, a mischeavous smile on its stone face. Was it my imagination or did I see a glint, a sparkle, in its eye, a wink? Silly! I turned back to the book in my hand, "Stardust" and read the cover, "Tristran vows to retrieve the fallen star and deliver it to his beloved...a world that is dangerous, strange beyond imagining..."
I opened the book, hefted my travelling bag and stepped into an adventure.







23 Comments:
Oh, Sandy, what a fun little story. I'm in awe of your imagination!
Sandy, please tell the little elf that I will also be looking for Stardust in my local library and thank him for me. Everyone needs a little magic, now and then.
Hi Sandy.
More Magic in wonderland
funny, in a written book
can take us thru the realm
of the imagination and on
to sites & sights sublime
Hope you are having fun!
What a good idea, Sandy, that must be what's up with my crabby restlessness lately, I need a good dose of adventure, romance and magic! Looking forward to hearing what you thought of the book.
Ahhh...the wonderful world of books. :)That was a nice little story. I'm still working very hard to make reading part of my daily pleasure.
What a great little story. How was the book?
Are you still reading? lol
Thanks Velvet and everyone, blogger wouldn't let me comment :p
"Stardust" is written by Neil Gaiman sunflower and I'm sure the elf already knows your plans. :)
Funny,Janet must be the only time I didn't take my camera with me. :)
That's the great thing about books isn't it quasar9 there are n limits to where they can take us. And thanks, had a great time. :)
Then here is a good adventure kat If you enjoy a true faerie story I really must recommend "Stardust". So many lovely descriptive passages and wonderous flights of fantasy, it even had a unicorn, truly a piece of magic.
I hope you manage it stephen, I really felt I was missing out on so much during the short time I was unable to read.
I really enjoyed it dr.john just finished it this evening. This is only the second book I've read by Gaiman but I will be reading more.
No, marion :-) finished it now I've got to catch up with everyone.
Nice little story.
Than ks for stopping by
Lovely as always, Sandy. I'll go anywhere to spend a little time with a unicorn!
This reminds me so much of the entire days I spent as a kid, hiding out in the stacks on the top floor of my favorite library. The librarian always came to roust me when it was closing time and would walk me (and my precious stack of borrowed books) to the bus stop to head home.
One sweet memory . . .
Thanks, Sandy!
'Hello there ballofwoolthank you, and nice to see you here.
Anywhere to spend time with a unicorn W.J.? So, that's why you came here then! :p lol Glad you came though. :-)
Hey, great you've got a buzz going. Good Luck with the Fair and the future exhibits.
Did you get lost in your book? Did you find something new and bright to bring back? And most of all, did you have fun?
Hi Sandy, thought I'd stop by
and leave you here a quick hi
And now I must rush off,
so without more ado,
to you I sat Toot Toot TooRooLoo
Hi the joy of loosing yourself is fantastic and coupled with a vivid imagination who needs a film version of that book.
All those things GG and got utterly lost.
Gaiman has a flair for fantasy and prose, now I've got to read more of his books.
LOL Thanks Quasar9 bit behind on th eposts, have a star-struck weekend. :)
Hi dave I agree, nothing like losing yourself in a good book. Are they, or have they made a movie of it?
I can't believe it will do the book justice, there is a love of magic in his writing that will be lost on film.
Hi Sandy,
Birth & New Life is always magical
Scientists & Physics would have us see and understand that the universe is unfolding according to plan, and that even we, are each like stars foretold in Time.
Wishing You a star filled weekend too
Hi Liked reading through once again,nice story,thanks for sharing,
Wish you well
Lovely Quasar9 :-)
Hi ZT, nice to see you again and thank you for "Look Here!" it's so funny.
Oh I need to read"Stardust". What fun.
You should betty, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
charming!!! :)
Cheers Moi :-)
Post a Comment
<< Home