Friday, November 10, 2006



A Belated Splash of Colour

A day in the garden where Autumn has arrived in part to touch the maples and the virgina creeper turning their leaves into living flame. So thought I would take their photo and give you
a belated splash of colour.




Flame trees................the maples take on a life of their own in burning crimsons





and smokey yellow and oranges.







Bonfire..............oops! Well a real living flame :p
I normally compost small twigs but the wind has been a bit ruthless of late and there have been a couple of large branches from the wllow to dispose of. A small bonfire in an old oil drum and their ashes are spread among the roses.
Must admit I love bonfires. I think they bring the kid out in all of us, so when the job in hand has been done you can't help but go looking for jus one more handful of twigs
just so you can feed the flames and hear them spark and crackle. Oh, isn't Autumn fun!

20 Comments:

Blogger Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

wow!!! what beautiful warm colors.....no wonder they say "all art is an imitation of nature"......can anything be more beautiful than this.... :)

11/11/2006  
Blogger Dave said...

Real fires in the winter are wonderfully soporific...........yawns.

11/11/2006  
Blogger Dave said...

Is that a heron just behind the fire?

11/11/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss burning the leaves in the fall, living in town, there's no burning permited and what you can stuff in the chiminea is just not the same. Those trees are just beautiful.

11/11/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lovely colors! There's no burning allowed in my city either-we have yard waste collections. I'd love to have a chiminea on the patio.

11/11/2006  
Blogger Dan Flynn said...

Sandy,

Isn't it great being an adult? Setting fire to things, eating meals the wrong way round with sugary things at the beginning. Squidging food between your front teeth to make your friends go ugh, eating off other people's plates whilst they're still eating. Vomiting on your best mate's expensive shoes, steaing their partner... er...

Anyway, adulthood is better than childhood cos you can do loads of stuff and not get told off.

11/11/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only more of them moi but know what you mean, they are beautiful colours.
I love open fires dave and agree, makes you feel very cosy and pampered, dare I say 'cat-like' :-) And yes that is a heron, it is supposed to deter real herons from fishing. We used to keep goldfish and koi carp in the pond.
We are very much country here Kat and still have people with coal/woodburning fires so an outdoor fire is acceptable. This is the first one I've had for a long while though. I real treat! :-)
lol Dan you are disgusting, fancy stealing a friend's girl!!!! Shame on you.

11/11/2006  
Blogger Linda@VS said...

Those vivid reds are amazing! My childhood in Missouri had colors like that, but autumns in Louisiana pass by almost unnoticed. I can almost smell the fire, Sandy.

11/11/2006  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Wow Magical colours
Wishing you a magical weekend
Here's looking at you, here's smiling at you

11/12/2006  
Blogger B.R.L said...

What bright and beautiful colors.

11/12/2006  
Blogger Sunflower Optimism said...

Thank you for the splashes of color, Sandy!

I was going to take my camera out today, as I had spotted some great trees yesterday. But alas, every time I made a move to the door, I got the evil eye from my husband. I had promised to clean the house and he was holding me to that, LOL.

11/12/2006  
Blogger Dan Flynn said...

Sandy,

Re stealing a friend's girl, hey, nothing was ever proven!

11/12/2006  
Blogger Dr.John said...

You had great c olors. I think your reds were redder than ours. Right now all our trees are white and I could use that crackling fire.

11/12/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The maples can always be relied on to put on a good show Velvet although Autumn seems to be a bit hit and miss here, too normally the other trees join in. :)
Same to you QuasarHeavenly and star-spangled.
Gorgeous aren't they, thanks Betty and that was a lovely post you did today.

11/12/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol Beware of the evil eye sunflower guess those trees will just have to wait! Unless he'll help!!! :p
No use going back on it Dan, *shakes head in dismay*, you northern scallywag. lol
Ooooh Dr. John, white trees all excited :)~ sending very warm wishes to the Fortress.

11/12/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...a somwhat belated Autumn! Nice colours.

11/12/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Autumn does seem a bit late in coming to these parts TC and funny how some trees have lost their leaves almost overnight while some are still green.

11/15/2006  
Blogger Marion said...

beautiful colours, Sandy. One of the things I find I miss is the annual bonfire of the "burn pile". It usually took place in October, when we lit up the night! But I live in town now, and burning is something that is not allowed.

It's nice to see a picture of a real bonfire!

11/16/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It used to be a bigger bonfire Marion but as the trees grew the fire had to be confined to the oil drum, yet it still holds the same fascination.

11/17/2006  
Blogger Stephen A. Bess said...

These are lovely colors too! We could burn leaves when I was growing up in North Carolina. That was a common smell in the air during this time of year.

11/30/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

SandysCopyright© 2006 All Rights Reserved bifroste@gmail.com