
the breeze keen,
laden with the smell of newly tilled earth
of damp bark and fallen leaves,
ruffling my hair.
The sun a golden ribbon 'neath gathering clouds.
I watch crows fly homeward too
their harsh cries eerie in the stillness
black shapes merging, black into black
as night descends
as I walk home across the fields.







20 Comments:
the pic's beautiful...love the softness of the gathering clouds and the neat border to the pic :)
and love that bit of the verse "smell of newly tilled earth......".....evokes memories from childhood.......i cud almost smell it in the air here.........thousands of miles away ...:)..but why did the poem take such an eerie turn towards the end ???? :D
You are so gifted with words, Sandy, and I could just walk right into that photo and lose myself for hours. Beautiful!
haunting... very good!
Crows are so interesting to me. They seem to cast out and feared for their size, color, and rough vocals. I really like the crow. :)
Funny, I imagine background music when I read your words. Peace~
Hi sandy, awesome
magical moments frozen in time
as we walk by and find a rhyme
Crows often get bad press but they are really clever birds.
Soon be time for the biting east winds coming off the North Sea.
Lol Guess my mood changed moi :p but glad the earth smell brought back memories. I love to see a freshly turned field, as well as the richness of the soil there is that deep colour, here it is either mulch black or rust red. Gorgeous!
There is something rather special about those half-light times of dusk and dawn isn't there Velvet, a sort of stillness and magic that makes you reach for your camera. :)
Thank you Janet, its those crows again. :p
Wish I could do Youtube with music Stephen, that would be fun! Did you follow the First Light Machine link?
Hi Quasar, these little gems we capture as we go on our way, a smile, a wonder, all play their part to brighten our way.
I remember your story of the crows in Japan dave, and yes very clever birds. And we don't have hills here either to slow those winds. :)
Loved the picture and the poem.
The other day I looked out my back bedroom window and there were two crows in the garden railroad which is now prepared for the winter. I talked to the birds. I said get out of the garden. One flew away the other moved on to the rail close to the window cocking his head like he was listening.
Wonderful post!
I could "smell" your escription...
Lots of crows around here, as many as gulls - with the beauty of embracing Native American cultural beliefs, one can begin to truly enjoy them ...
Love and joy to you
We have a lot of crows around here, like Betty said, they are usually quite bold and seem to be listening to you. Its almost as if they weren't always birds, but just a soul trapped in that body.
I was walking that field right with you Sandy - but I finally had to break into a run to get home before dark.
Beautiful work, both poetry and photo.
Hi betty crows are rather mystical birds and really quite clever. Odd that they often signify change and you are about to move house!
I've been seeing a lot more crows here too Angeldust, I like them and often stop to watch and listen. They are creatures of great power in the Native Amerian and Celtic cultures.
Did you know that crow is said to be a shape-shifter kat? He may very well be listening. lol
lol Glad to have you along sunflower. I think this post has turned into a "Murder of Crows"
haha
Thank you for commenting everyone, hope you had a wonderful weekend.
lol @ "I think this post has turned into a "Murder of Crows" "
haha!!!
lol Full circle moi ;-)
Great photo on your last post. :)))))
What a gorgeous series of blog posts and photos, Sandy! I especially enjoyed the brilliant garden pictures and the Canadian geese. I'd forgotten how big they are! Your "I have nothing to post" post was wonderful!
It's always such a joy to stop by here!
Sandy,
been staring at this photo for a week now and just noticed, is that a crowd beneath the tree? Maybe villagers with large wooden rakes and forks? If so, what are they upset about? A witch, a Frankenstein, a superstition? I think we should be told...
Nice to see you again W.J. you've been working too hard. :) Those Canada Geese are adorable and they are big too!
Congratlations on your "Natural Order" so much t se in that one.
Hey! Dan Though you were in Barcelona! A crowd beneath the tree? Oooo I thought the place was deserted....then they'll be after the witch and... (can you keep a secret?) ~ the witch be me! lol
Sandy,
for reasons that are too depressing I missed this afternoon's flight and will be orf tomorrow.
Sigh, and double, nay treble sigh...
Post a Comment
<< Home